Today, I am writing this post to share my boat tart recipe. Excuse the photo below because I am not good at taking photos. Anyway, boat tart is such popular pastry during my elementary days. (i now have an incoming third grader, so just calculate my age, lolz). This pastry has a crunchy crust and sweet filling on top. The filling is similar to the taste of yema. So, I decided to make my own.
Crushed graham crackers
3 egg yolks
1 1/2 can of condensed milk
2-3 tbsp of sugar
1. Mix crush graham and butter. Measurement is not definite, just approximate the two ingredients until you are able to flatten it to pan. In my case, I flatten it on llanera. I made a very thin crust less than half an inch. Once flat, chill for at least 30 minutes.
2. Beat the yolks. Under medium heat, mix the condensed milk, yolk and sugar. Mix continously for about 20minutes.
If you think that the texture will not have thick consistency, it will once the yema is cold.
Overall, the taste is pretty good. It may take some time to finish it, but it is worth to try 🙂
Do you also love yema?
✘ ❍ ✘ ❍
𝒥 á Ν ê
I am a food lover but I rarely write about it. I apologize about that. We recently went to Clark for the Puregold’s Summer Sale. We had the best time because me and my husband would always find time to shop when it’s sale. Our favorite is Puregold (Clark or Subic) because we are sweet lovers. We live about an hour and a half away to Clarkfield Pampanga. Instead of going to Manila, I would definitely choose Clark or Subic :). So, we left at around 9 Am and we arrived at 11 or before 11 am. The place was jam-packed. There were so many people like us who are looking forward to spend less on sweets and other PX goods. With the high exchange rates nowadays we did not expect that there will be long lines. There are items that are still expensive while some made us happy. We got Milky Way which only costs P120 per 400g pack, Snack Pack (P55) per pack of 4, Ruffles 2 for 199, Chocolate cookies like Nougatelli (P65) and chocolate chip same price. The cookies are my daughter’s favorite. I have tried Snack pack in the past but maybe I miss it this time it I am craving for it all the time.
That’s the picture. I was not able to take a good shot because it was too late when I realized that it can be a great blog post (LOLZ). This is a chocolate pudding. If served chilled, it tastes better than ever. I am happy my hubby got 3 packs so a total of 12 snack packs. But I gave one pack away so I was left with 8 haha. Anyway, this snack pack is also available in various supermarkets but I am not quite sure of the price difference. Overall, it is worth to eat especially if you are a choco lover like me. It is perfect for merienda or when you just crave for chocolates! Other flavors are also available like vanilla, and choco vanilla if I can remember.
Have you also tried this? Any other choco snacks you want to share?
✘ ❍ ✘ ❍
𝒥 á Ν ê
One other craving that I so love is sushi, California maki to be exact. When we eat in a buffet that serves Japanese, you can expect that my plate would only and always be filled with sushi. Ever since I have tried it, I keep on looking for it. Truly, I can survive in Japan or South Korea, eating sushi all day long. ☺
Once, I have came across a facebook page that teaches how to make sushi. The next day, I was at the grocery looking for ingredients and tools to roll my own. I did not buy japanese rice but my finish product still enticed me. That’s how much I love sushi. What I used:
- Ripe mango
- Crab Stick
- Nori sheet
- bamboo mat
- Regular rice
- vinegar, sugar and salt (to season the rice)
- Cook the rice. If you can, add more water than the usual so that it will look like rice paste when cooked. If not, seasoning it with sugar, salt and vinegar mixture right after it is fully cooked can also achieve the paste appearance of the rice.
- Clean the bamboo mat. Place the nori sheet on it then add thin layer of rice.
- Slice the mango, cucumber and crab stick. Ensure you can fit them easily when you roll the mat. Add mayonnaise.
- Roll carefully but firmly to ensure all the ingredients are in tact.
- Use a sharp knife when slicing for quicker and better looking sushi.
- Serve with soy sauce, calamansi/lemon or lime and wasabi.
✘ ❍ ✘ ❍
𝒥 á Ν ê
We all love food. We are lucky that in today’s modern world, almost any craving that our taste bud would like is very accessible around. In fact, food can also be ordered online. When you are being thrifty (like me), what you can do is to make your own version of the food that you crave for. Here is an example:
I am not a photographer so pardon me if you cannot distinguish what that is. It is my home made chicken mac n cheese. I used the very basic ingredients found at the kitchen to make that. What I used:
- Onion and garlic
- Chicken breast(cut into small bits)
- Cheese spread(chiz whiz or other brand will do)
- Evaporated milk
- Macaroni noodles (cooked)
Since I already used butter, the amount of oil is very little to saute onion and garlic. After sauteing, I added the chicken strips and add the butter. Once done, you can add the milk(sorry unsure of the measurement). Once it boils, you can add the cooked macaroni and add the cheese. Pepper is optional. If your kids do not prefer it, you can eliminate it from the list.
We enjoyed it without having to spend that much if we have chosen to eat out.
✘ ❍ ✘ ❍
𝒥 á Ν ê